With all the painting projects I've tackled in our house, my collection of paint chips has been growing and growing. I wanted to re-use them in some way, so I decided to make a mosaic-style piece of artwork. We have a wall in our living room that had no art and not much color. All the decorating was happening on the other side of the room, leaving the room a little unbalanced, so something colorful was more than necessary.
After gathering up paint chips from no less than four places around the house, I was amazed to discover that I had a nearly inch-thick stack.
This project is actually a slightly more sophisticated variation on a simple project I did way back in 2002. I'm actually surprised I have photos of these little 6"x6" pieces. They were given away to friends and I only made these two.
I punched out multi-hundreds of dime-sized dots. It took a while. I wanted to arrange them in a scallopy manner, so I laid out my dots face up, planning out five, six, seven rows at a time. I felt like I was playing some strange color-based strategy game, where I had to make sure the colors were jumbled appropriately.
I had a piece of wood cut (approximately 11" x 32") and painted it a warm red. Most of my paint chips were in the blue/green/gray family and I was lacking warmer tones, so red was a good choice of background to contrast my dots.
I started at the bottom of my wood panel, gluing down dots with Mod Podge and then putting more Mod Podge over the top, but that quickly got very messy. After maybe ten rows of doing it that way, I switched to dabbing Elmer's Glue All on the backs of the dots and it went a lot faster after that.
To prevent myself from going crazy and so the dots wouldn't shift too much while the glue was still wet, I glued them down just a few rows at a time, letting the glue dry in between. After they were all down, I spread Mod Podge over the whole thing.
I know you are going to think I stopped short of the top because I ran out of paint chips, but the above photo should prove I didn't! I had originally planned to cover the whole thing, but leaving the top part red gives it some balance. I wish I would have known I was going to stop there because I would have rationed the colors differently.
I love it! I hope it reads more "artfully handmade" than "preschool craft time."
I do think it looks better at close range. From far away it starts to look all pixely.